Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Throw Back Decade

Back in the late 60’s and early 70’s, my parents square danced.  My Mother would make her square dance dresses and matching shirts for my Dad.  I remember the Day a “punch thingy”, that put the snaps on Dad’s shirts, showed up in the mail.   I think she broke into the “ Teaberry Shuffle”!  Before that showed up, she used a hammer!

You have no idea how much I regret that we never saved any of their square dance clothes.  She was a great seamstress.

All the little towns had their own name for the square dancers and had their own unique square dance pins.  Fortunately, I managed to save one set of all the pins they had.   This is pin for the Beetown Squares.  They are mounted in a shadow box so the picture looks weird, but  it looks OK on the wall.

DSC06470

DSC06469

DSC06469-001

Rex blew up the pins so you could see the names on them clearly.  Buzz and Bill, my Mom and Dad.

Buzz is my Dad, at a young age he ran into a bee hive, and having 5 older siblings he promptly got a nickname.

Bill is my Mother.  She is the 2nd of 7 kids , and the 2nd girl .  Her name is Wilma but she acquired the nickname of Billy, but Bill fit on the pin better.  Although she was called Bill too.

When my brother was born, he was named William, and called him “Billy Boy” so as not be be confused with my Mother.

It is interesting what memories are dug up when you find a relic of the past.

0 comments: