Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Please Accept My Apology !!





By Mary
Custom Smiley
To everyone that reads this blog on a daily basis, I apologize for missing yesterday. The day was so busy it just got away from us. Of course, Jack Daniel is somewhat to blame....


Below is a picture of a statue that is on the grounds of the Mormon Station in Genoa. The man is John "Snowshoe" Thompson. This man was born in Norway and emigrated to the USA at the age of 10. He spent time in both Iowa and Wisconsin before ending up in the Sierra Mountain ridges of Nevada and California. For twenty years, 1856-1876, he carried the mail from Placerville, CA to Genoa, NV. He made this 90 mile trip twice a month in 20 to 50 foot snow depths, snowdrifts, and blizzards on a pair of homemade "long" skis using a single pole for balance in three days. Snowshoe carried a mail bag weighing 50 to 100 pounds with only crackers and dried beef for food. He drank melted snow for water. This man must have earned the respect and awe of many, many people because this is one of three statues of him that I know about. I have seen another one in Squaw Valley, but have not seen the third. I have also seen his story on many plaques in various locations. Just an indication of how important mail was to people of the time. He is buried in Genoa, NV and we visited his grave yesterday.


Speaking of graves, Genoa has the weirdest cemetery I have ever seen. I am sitting here trying to find the words to describe this cemetery but I just can't. I did take some pics so if anyone has an interest, maybe I should just send some of the pics in either e-mail or during a chat.
We ended up having dog dish meatloaf for supper. It has been a long time since we have had that and it really tasted good.


So now I need to blog for today. For some reason Rex decided to walk into Best Buy yesterday....big mistake! So after sleeping on it, he decided to go back to Carson City today and buy a laptop. He has been wanting one for a while since our desktop is getting old (5 years) and slow. So now he has a new toy. I sure hope it goes faster. So now it has been a long day off without anything going as planned. My plan for today was laying around the camper cleaning and doing laundry. Oh well, the best laid plans etc etc..


Countdown time...21 days to liftoff!! I am SO ready.





0 comments: