Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Creme Brulee


Ever since we started making pizza on the grill my one disappoint with them was that the cheese on top didn't brown. After watching several chefs on the food network caramelize sugar on creme brulee with a hand held blow torch, I decided that would work on the pizza cheese.

Here is a picture of my torch and the box it came in......notice the creme brulee recipe on the box....guess I should try that.


The first step is heating heavy cream and sugar on the stove.

The next step is whipping two eggs yolks with vanilla. To the yolks and vanilla, you stream the heavy cream and sugar mixture. Rex informed me that is is called tempering....you stream it into the yolks slowly so the hot cream doesn't cook the eggs.


This picture shows the creme brulee as it looks coming out of the oven, it is cooked with a water bath. After baking it is then chilled in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.



Here comes the fun part. You take the torch and caramelize the sugar on the creme brulee. This is a really tasty treat and I really enjoyed making it. We will definitely have this on the menu again......it was fun and the neighbors enjoyed it with us!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Making creme brulee, I am in awe, have watched that many times myself. But you didn't tell us if it works on the pizza cheese?