Monday, October 27, 2008

Amaryllis




I don't know what it is about warm weather and sunshine, but it makes me want to play in the dirt...... Of course playing in the dirt in Arizona is playing with potting soil and containers!!! The dirt here is actually like concrete!!


Last winter we got Rex's Mother an amaryllis for her condo while she was here. They grow so fast and have such impressive flowers that we thought she would enjoy watching it grow and bloom. When she went back home I kept it throughout the summer, watering and fertilizing it. In late August I cut off it's leaves and dried out the roots, forcing it into dormancy. I checked it yesterday and lo and behold, it's leaves are starting to grow.....in a few weeks we will know if I was successful in getting it to produce flowers. (Amy, do you recognize the shells?)





As long as the dirt was under my finger nails anyway, I bought this nice daisy to add some color to our camp site....love that bright orange which is the actual color even if it looks yellow in the picture.


Of course.....why stop there????? So now I have fresh rosemary, basil, parsley, and lemon thyme to cook with.....

0 comments: