Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gooseberries

When I was a kid I got to go gooseberry picking with my Mother and her friend Margaret.  They always wore long pants, and long sleeved shirts with pockets.  The pockets held their cigarettes.  Neither of them smoked, but they puffed on cigarettes while berry picking to create huge smoke clouds around themselves the  mosquitoes didn't bother them.  Now I wonder if the smoke made their eyes tear up? I  didn’t pick many berries, but I did find old, old tombstones and a lot of junk people ditched in the ditches.


That is the image came to me when Bobby Flay said tomatillos were in the same family as gooseberries.  I was shocked anyone had actually heard of gooseberries.  So of course, I have to try this recipe!!  The recipe is shrimp  coctail with tomatillo-horseradish sauce.



This is the tomatillo-horseradish sauce ingredients in the food processor.







Guess I still had Valentine's Day on my mind!!


If anyone is interested in this recipe go to http://www.foodnetwork.com/ and search for shrimp coctail with tomatillo-horseradish sauce by Bobby Flay.


It wasn't as hot as I thought it would be.  Also the shrimp were not as flavorful as they should have been considering what it was boiled in.  I didn't keep the recipe as I won't be making it again.

1 comments:

Freely Living Life said...

Gooseberry picking was so much fun! We would also hunt for winterberry as well. Thanks for the wonderful childhood memory! It's the little things in life that excite me. :)