Thursday, December 30, 2010

Eight Years

I quit smoking eight years ago today.  After not smoking for eight years, I sincerely wish I could say it was 18, 28, or even 38 years ago that I quit but it's just 8.  The headline news of the lung cancer/smoking connection was big news about the time I started smoking.  The arrogance and immortality of youth made me just plain ignore that information.

Like many other smokers, I made the statement "well, we all have to die of something".  Which is true we all die of something but sadly you don't just die.  There is a process of dying and quite frankly dying of lung cancer is not a pleasant process.  I heard one person say it was like suffocating in your own lungs.  Doesn't that sound like fun?? 

Regrets??  Oh yes I have many and one of the biggest is that I EVER put a cigarette in my mouth.  How stupid was that?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations Mary. There is no greater gift you can make to yourself. We alone are responsible to take care of ourselves. You have made a wise choice and should thank yourself.


Hans