Sunday, December 5, 2010

How To Neuter A Cat

By Uncle Hans

Over the years, Rechsteiner family get-togethers have been bizarre and unpredictable.  Our Dad contended that without some sort of fun group activity, the visit just degenerates into bitching about one another"  So we actively plan for some sort of "fun group activity".  Often they involve animals, surgery, chain saws, snowmobiles, motorcycles, meat processing, or some you-name-it combination.
     This Thanksgiving, the idea came up to neuter a cat.  Everyone (except the cat) thought this would be great.  It all starts with a trained professional.  Please don't try this at your house!  (do it in the garage like we do).........

DSC00774

.....a complex surgery of this nature demands a highly trained and dedicated group of assistants.  Here we have surgical technicians, Carol and Renee.  Any cat reading this blog should be afraid.............

DSC00767

.....the procedure itself is simpler than I had imagined.  First (after anesthesia, of course), the fur is removed from the scrotum.......

DSC00781

...........here you see the exposed scrotum in a picture which my camera failed to completely record for some reason (duh, like common decency?). 
       OK, in the name of common decency, I won't show you the two small incisions made, one in each side.  I also won't show you Neil  expressing or squeezing out the testicle and then ripping it out.  I won't show you Renee jumping on the chance to tear the second one out,  I won't show you the laughing gleeful faces of all the women in the room. 
      My, my.  so much to not show.............

2010-11-27_20-59-7

...............I am not above, however, showing the techs, the testicles, and the glee. 
     (don't these two look so, so much like Thing 1 and Thing 2?)....................

2010-11-27_21-01-54_959

.....here they are in close-up along with the fur that was removed...........

2010-11-27_21-04-09_346

.............the kitty was also due for shots, which were given under anesthesia............

2010-11-27_20-55-20_743

........most university hospitals have a "theatre" operating room where many people can observe the surgeon at work. 

We have the garage ……

DSC00773

.......and the cat came through with flying colors.........................

2010-11-27_21-30-42_533

............which was very good.  It meant that we could get back to bitching about one another!

2010-11-27_20-51-05_389

Uncle Hans

1 comments:

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

What a great post, when we had my last dog done, I asked the Vet who was a friend if he would put the testical's in a jar of alcohol and send them home with Duke, He said why would I want those and I told him I was going to put them on the fireplace and when company came over an asked what that was I would be able to say Duke's N-ts's. Bet Rex would have loved it. Be safe out there, Sam & Donna..