Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sewing Machine

By Uncle Hans

We bought a new sewing machine. Renee knows a little about it from high school and some simple sewing she has done through the years. It is a new design from China. Lots of buttons and whistles.

So it sat in the office and gathered dust for months. Recently, I got out the manual and threaded the fool thing. Then I started a project, cutting off some old jeans for a pair of shorts.

1336324921017
It worked well at first, then it jammed and made some sickening crunching noises deep inside. I cleared up the jam and tried again. But it won't work.

1336324945036

The "dogs" that feed the material seem to be in reverse. I think the crunching noises were the camshaft that moves the dogs jumping off kilter and now it is not coordinated with the needle.

 How do you get a Chinese sewing machine fixed in Spooner Wisconsin?


That, Watson, is a good question..........

So now I have managed to break the sewing machine in the first 30 minutes of use. Well let's just look in here...........

1336411113637

1336411379347

......just a few screws out...........

and.........

look! it is just some machinery inside........

1336411616433

 

.........I think this is where the problem is..........

1336419910622

..............in the end, I just opened the case (careful not to disturb anything) looked around, and put it back together again. I may have gained some understanding as to how the mechanisms work, but was not foolish enough to actually change anything. I put it back together again and it worked fine...........

1336324950969

.....here is my first project. Looking closely, you can see that only one leg is hemmed. Looking even more closely, you can see it is a lousy job. But the machine and I came to some sort of an agreement. I think the problem was really what Renee said it was from the get-go.


A poorly wound bobbin

hem
live and learn..........

By Uncle Hans

0 comments: