Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fall Yard Work


Since the blog is basically for RVers, I thought I would blog on
today's little chore: the fall leaf removal. This, I thought, would be fun reading for someone who has left this work behind by becoming an Rver.

I figured they might enjoy remembering this unpleasant part of home ownership. I have to do some of it with the old-fashioned rake and hand work. The areas I can't get at with the tractor.........




.......the bulk of it can be done with the old tractor, which is still work, but it is easier work............



...........This contraption cuts the grass and vacuums up the debris, grass cuttings, leaves, pine needles, small children, etc.............




........then you dump it in the ditch to rot. The machine holds 30 bushels and I "harvest" about 1000 bushels a year. It takes me about 6-7 hours total. There is a Nobel Prize for Chemistry for the guy who finds out how to make ethanol from cellulose (grass cuttings, leaves, pine needles, small children, and almost every plant imaginable). That 1000 bushels could make about 50 gallons, I am sure. It is like cold fusion. We would no longer need fossil fuels if either of those scientific puzzles could be solved.........


.....the contraption is a lawn Genie, and I stumbled upon this little gem about 20 years ago. It is powered by the PTO from the tractor and does a great job.....


.............The secret is these little "Y" knives that rotate around a long shaft. Basically, it is a flail chopper for the farmers who read this. It cuts and sets up a vacuum which picks up everything and sends it into a hopper..........

(I'M TIRED, YARD WORK CONTINUES TOMORROW......)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah not looking like so much fun...ugh!

Anonymous said...

Growing plants in a water barrel and trying to turn leaves into gas. It must be in the "genes", where does Neil come into this scheme?