Friday, April 18, 2008

DATELINE: GREEN BAY

DATE: A SUNDAY SOMETIME IN OCTOBER 2008

RODGERS - OUT

IN SUNDAY'S THIRD GAME OF THE GREEN BAY PACKER'S SEASON, QUARTERBACK, ARON RODGERS BROKE HIS HIS FOOT, PUTTING HIM ON THE DISABLED LIST FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON.

IN A SURPRISE MOVE THE MANAGEMENT OF THE PACKER HAVE RECALLED 38 YEAR OLD, BRETT FAVRE, TO QUARTERBACK THE PACKERS FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON. WELCOME BACK BRETT !!!

AN INTERESTING THEORY, AND STORY I'VE USED MANY TIMES ACROSS MY BLACKJACK TABLE WITH CUSTOMERS. THEY ROLL THEIR EYES AND LAUGH, AND HOPEFULLY PUT ME UP FOR A "TOKE" ON THE NEXT HAND.

YOU CAN IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I RAN ACROSS THIS NEWSPAPER STORY ON THE INTERNET THIS WEEK:


If Packers were in need, Favre might think twice about retirement
.
GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — If the Green Bay Packers are ravaged by injuries this season, Brett Favre might consider returning should the team reach out to him.


It would be hard to pass up, I guess,'' he told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald. ``But three months from now, say that presents itself, I may say, you know what, I'm so glad I made that decision. I'm feel very comfortable in what I'm doing and my decision. ``Yeah, I can probably be up there doing that and playing, but again, I don't know. It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career.''

But if Aaron Rodgers went down with an injury?

Aaron has fallen into a great situation,'' Favre said.

And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed do it.

''Favre understands the kind of challenge he would face should he opt to go back to the NFL after ending his record-setting 17-year career. And he made it clear he is not changing his mind at this time.

But to think that if they called me in October and told me, 'Hey, we need you this week.' That would be hard,'' Favre said in a story that appeared on the paper's Web site on Tuesday. ``I'm sure mentally, I would be refreshed. I'd be away from it for a long time. But mentally versus physically, the last thing I'd want to do is go up and it's 'Oh this is great' and all that stuff and me be excited and then just flop.

You just can't show up and play.

''There has been a steady flow of speculation that Favre would have a change of heart in the wake of the March 4 announcement the league's only three-time MVP was retiring.

I guess the best response would be, right now no,'' he said of a possible return to the game.

Favre added he would not return unless he was in shape.

It would be hard to go up there at 38. It was hard to stay in shape. I say that, I worked out and I worked out hard,'' he said.

Week in and week out, I was just drained. Finally, for the first time, I felt, not that 38 is old, but I looked around at practice and these guys are bouncing around. And I practiced every day and all the time people would ask me ... `How do you do it? Inside I'm saying, 'I have no idea.' It's a struggle.''

HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY CHAD !!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE !!!

0 comments: